Surgical strikes after Uri and now air strikes in self-defense. India conducted a major pre-emptive strike on a Jaish-e-Mohammed camp across the border, killing 325 terrorists and 25 trainers and senior commanders, Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said on Tuesday.
This “non-military preemptive strike” aka ‘Surgical Strike 2’ has already made its stand in Indian history and here are answers to all your questions
10 Things You Must Know About “non-military preemptive strike” aka ‘Surgical Strike 2’
When surgical strike 2 took place?
- At 0330 hours on February 26, 2019 a group of Mirage 2000 Indian Fighter jets struck a major terrorist camp across the LoC and completely destroyed it.
How Many Fighter Jets Took Part?
- 12 Mirage 2000 jets took part in the operation. 1000-kg bombs were dropped in six fires on terror camps across the LoC.
Which Places were destroyed and how many members were killed In the Attack?
- Balakot, Chakothi and Muzaffarabad terror launch pads across the LOC were completely destroyed in IAF air strikes. JeM control rooms were also destroyed
- The bombing took place at Balakote which is located 28km south of Poonch and 93 km from Srinagar. At least 325 terrorists and 25 trainers were at the Balakot camp.
Who gave the First official confirmation about the Surgical Strike 2?
- The first official confirmation came from Union Minister Gajendra Shekhawat. He tweeted a picture of the Mirage releasing a missile in the air. It’s not clear if the photo is of this morning’s attack or not.
ये मोदी का हिंदुस्तान है, घर में घुसेगा भी और मारेगा भी,
Air Force carried out aerial strike early morning today at terror camps across the LoC and Completely destroyed it
एक एक क़तरा ख़ून का हिसाब होगा !ये तो एक शुरुआत है .. ये देश नहीं झुकने दूंगा…#Balakot #Surgicalstrike2 pic.twitter.com/fqYJgWxuqX
— Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (@gssjodhpur) February 26, 2019
Who were the major targets?
Key Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists targeted in today’s air strikes were Mufti Azhar Khan Kashmiri, head of Kashmir operations and Ibrahim Azhar, the elder brother of Masood Azhar who was also involved in the IC-814 hijacking.
Key Jaish e Mohammed terrorists targeted in today’s air strikes: Mufti Azhar Khan Kashmiri, head of Kashmir operations(pic 1) and Ibrahim Azhar(pic 2), the elder brother of Masood Azhar who was also involved in the IC-814 hijacking pic.twitter.com/IUv1njNygA
— ANI (@ANI) February 26, 2019
What was PM Modi’s Reaction?
- A meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security has taken place. National Security Advisor Ajit Doval has met Prime Minister Narendra Modi at 7, Lok Kalyan Marg.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi while addressing a gathering in Rajasthan. Said, “I understand your enthusiasm today. You are in a different mood.” “I assure you that India is in safe hands,”
- He also said: “I won’t let India bow down. This is a promise that I make to you. I won’t let the nation’s name be erased. Rajasthan has given many brave soldiers to this nation. I bow to all you of you,”
Any International Pressure or criticism?
- No international player has criticised India for the action signals a victory for days of painstaking parleys undertaken by India’s diplomatic establishment with US and Russia, and probably Iran and Israel. New Delhi is calling it a ‘non-military pre-emptive strike’, a new entry in our diplomatic arsenal, which leaves multiple options open to inflict pain on non-state actors in the face of provocations like Uri or Pulwama.
- Foreign diplomats from the USA, UK, Russia, Australia, Indonesia, Turkey and six ASEAN nations were also being briefed by Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale on Indian air strike across LOC
Pakistan’s Reaction after the attack?
- Foreign Minister Qureshi said “First, India committed aggression against Pakistan today. It is a violation of the LoC. I consider it a violation of the LoC, and Pakistan his right to give a suitable response in self-defence,”
— PTV News (@PTVNewsOfficial) February 26, 2019
- Prime Minister Imran Khan asked armed forces and the people of Pakistan to remain “prepared for all eventualities. He also said it would respond to India’s “aggression” at a time and place of its choosing. Prime Minister Imran Khan has called for a joint session of Parliament on February 27.
- Pakistan’s top security committee said India has “committed uncalled for aggression” and vowed to respond “at the time and place of its choosing”
Why Surgical Strike 2 is called “non-military preemptive strike”?
- A nonmilitary preemptive strike means that a military target has not been hit by the Indian Air Force that carried out the strikes in the early hours of Tuesday. Hitting a military target would be construed as an act of war.
India, therefore, clarified that it was a nonmilitary strike. By calling it a preemptive action, it has taken the diplomatic pressure off itself that it acted to take revenge or for retribution. It has instead made it an act of self-defence.
Which areas are under High Alert In India?
- Punjab has put its border districts on high alert
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh holds a high-level meeting with state minister Manpreet Badal and senior officials in the wake of the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) strikes on JeM terror camps in Balakot. pic.twitter.com/aSfD8T2f4u
— ANI (@ANI) February 26, 2019
- Debris of the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was seen near Nanghatad village in Abdasa taluka of Kutch, Gujarat Border.
A Pakistani drone on a reconnaissance mission was shot down early this morning in Kutch area of Gujarat by the Indian Army using Israeli Spyder air defence missile system, sources said.
— ANI Digital (@ani_digital) February 26, 2019